Sunday 17 July 2011

Recent crafting

The final of The Apprentice is tonight, and the Big Cross Stitch is nowhere near finished. Ooops. I think I got as far as week 3 or 4, then my crafting time all but disappeared, and what little crafting time I did have I filled by making stuff for the recent Owl Swap over on Craftster.

Here's what I made for my partner:

A hand-carved owl stamp:

A little lavender bag with a cross stitch owl design on the front:
A covered hardback sketchbook with a ribbon page marker:
And the item I'm most proud of, knitted owl fingerless gloves:These took me forever: first I had to find a yarn in the right weight that didn't contain any animal fibres as my partner is allergic to them (which was a lot harder than it sounds, I thought it would be easy to find a cotton or even an acrylic yarn, but I hunted high and low before I found this one!), then I knitted one glove on the size kneedles suggested in the pattern only to find it was really small (I know, I should've knitted a swatch to check gauge first but I always skip this part...), then I had problems with the DPNs creating ladders up the palm of the glove. But I managed it, and they turned out really well :). And I even managed to teach myself how to cable with very few problems, woo :D

The Big Cross Stitch is still in my to-do list, but unfortunately it looks like it'll have to wait until exams are over as I'm going to be really busy for the next month doing near enough non-stop revision. Once exams are over though I've got a vague idea buzzing around in my head of hopping on a train and going somewhere "up North" for a weekend, partly so I can make a start on crossing off the "visit 5 places north of London" task on my list, partly because I'm fed up of being unable to do things that I want to do because one thing or another gets in the way, and partly because I want to get out and see the world, and what better place to start than with the little island that I've lived on for almost 21 years and hardly seen any of. So I should have plenty of stitching time of the train to wherever I end up going, but it's still going to take me a very long time to complete it as it takes a lot longer than I thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment